Thursday, April 27, 2006

Bush's faith-based Foreign Policy

Bush Says He Tried to Avoid War 'To The Max,' Explains How God Shapes His Foreign Policy:
"Bush also explained, in unusually stark terms, how his belief in God influences his foreign policy. 'I base a lot of my foreign policy decisions on some things that I think are true,' he said. 'One, I believe there's an Almighty. And, secondly, I believe one of the great gifts of the Almighty is the desire in everybody's soul, regardless of what you look like or where you live, to be free. "
Why don't the approx 51% of American's who voted for the chimp realize that this is a horrible way to make policy? Not simply horrible: probably the WORST foundation you can have for leadership. Its simply baffling. Is this really the level of intellectual ability we want in a leader: "I did it because god says its the right way to do things."? Relying on dogma laid-out by a book or priest doesn't pass for reasoning and analysis and it most certainly isn't leadership. I could program a computer to derive policy from christian theology.

As for the second statement: even if you believe its true and you buy into the argument that we have an obligation to help others attain that freedom, the job of a leader is to weight the costs vs. the benefits. Again, the emperor's faith comes into the picture -- very little, if any, real analysis or experience was used in finalizing the plans for Iraq (of course I'm not even pointing out that "freeing the people of Iraq" wasn't the original goal). Since the premise is "people want to be free", well -- "they welcome us with flowers... my job here is done."
"I believe liberty is universal. I believe people want to be free. And I know that democracies do not war with each other."
This statement is so idiotic I'm not even gonna comment on it further...

Faith coupled with power is a dangerous thing... it gives us leader's capable of making statements like I've quotes. It seems a lesson our founders learned has been lost on a near majority of Americans: Faith allows you to substitute certainty for doubt and analysis... to assert universal truths in a world filled with different opinions... to cling to fallacy in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Maybe -- just maybe -- as this debacle of leadership continues, most American's will realize that we should run from a candidate that professes "strong faith" and look to the secular humanist. That candidate may not seem to have all the answers, but he's likely to analyze the issue and look at the data from a reasoned perspective.

Imagine that... A country where the leader makes decisions based on data, reasoning and analysis. That's crazy talk!

No comments: